Technical description

Mechanical pencil (Pentel P205)

Technical description

Jun Yan Wei Wu

Table of contents

Introduction……………………………………………………………………3

Background…………………………………………………………………………….3

History………………………………………………………………………………….3-4

Body…………………………………………………………………………….4-6

Structure of Mechanical pencil P205……………………………………………………5-6

conclusion……………………………………………………………………….7

Mechanical pencil is a pencil that has an instrument that broadens a strong shade center called a lead which is made of graphite or strong color. This shade center isn’t attached to the external packaging and replaceable. While called a “mechanical pencil” in the United States it is classified as “impelling pencil” in the UK and “pen pencil” in India. This pen is principally utilized for specialized drawing and composing, yet it can likewise be utilized in compelling artwork. They don’t need to be honed to be utilized and on account of that are prominent with understudies.

The first and most primitive mechanical pencil was invented in 1565 by Conrad Gesner, a Swiss naturalist, and bibliographer. The pencil had to be manually adjusted so you can sharpen it. This is an image of how the pencil looks like Figure 1.   

Figure 1: Skribent, Cleo. “Gessner Pencil.”bltd, November 18, 2010. http://www.betterlivingthroughdesign.com/accessories/gessner-pencil/

This was just the beginning, the first mechanical pencil that had a mechanism closer to what we have nowadays was patented in 1822 by Sampson Mordan and John Isaac Hawkins in Britain. Mordan changed colleagues not many times until, in 1837, he chose to begin fabricating mechanical pencils alone in his “S.Mordan and Co.” organization. He (and his organization after him) kept on making mechanical pencils until the Second World War when his production line was obliterated by the besieging.

Others kept on improving these pencils and somewhere in the range of 1822 and 1874 in excess of 160 licenses were enlisted that did only that. Spring-stacked mechanical pencil showed up in 1877 while 1895 saw the main wind feed component. In 1915, Tokuji Hayakawa improved mechanical pencils and called it “Ever-Ready Sharp Pencil”. He saw a great business opportunity with this mechanical pencil, where companies from Tokyo and Osaka started to make large orders of this pencil. He opened his own company called “Sharp” which he took the name from his pencil. This was not the only business that was rising up, at the same time in America, Charles R. Keeran was creating similar pencils but this ones were rachet-based while Hayakawa’s was screw-based. A variety of lead sizes appeared in 1939, and this first one had a diameter of 0.9 mm. Next were 0.3, 0.5 1.3 and 1.4 mm. And nowadays we have 0.4mm leads and even 0.2. Offering consumers different sizes so they can pick the one that is more comfortable for them to use.

The mechanical pencil that we are going to describe is the Pentel model P205 with a 0.5mm leads. The measurements are approximately 5.86 inches in length and 0.32 inches in diameter. And it is structured into 10 basic pieces as shown in Figure 2.

Figure 2: “Not Your Basic Pencil: The Mechanical Pencil” (https://sarabethmarcello.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/technical-definition-and-description-yay.pdf)

1. The cap: the cap is made of metal, this cap accomplishes the function to reduce wear on the eraser and also helps to release the leads from the pencil by pressing it down. 
  2. Eraser: The eraser in the mechanical pencil is made with the same material as a normal eraser, the size is distinctly smaller than a regular eraser because they are made to fit in the mechanical pencil. If for any reason you miss your eraser you can also just replace it.  
  3. Eraser holder: how its own name says Eraser holder, holds the eraser and most of the time are made with metal like in this case with the P205, keeps the eraser firmly in place while the user transports the mechanical pencil and uses the eraser. 
  4. Pocket Clip: it is made of metal and can be semi-flexible. The Pocket Clip is used by the consumer to attach their mechanical pencil to the front breast pocket of their shirts or pants pockets, slip their mechanical pencil into their notebooks or into a backpack.
  5. Body: The body of a mechanical pencil goes about as a shell to shield the internal components from day by day wear and It is made with metal or plastic.
  6. Lead Reservoir Tube: this lead reservoir tube is located inside of the body and most are made of plastic. His function is to hold extra pieces of lead. The led reservoir tube showed in figure 2 is only capable of holding up to three sticks of 0.5 mm lead; some can hold up to ten sticks of lead at a time.
  7. Coil spring: The metal curl spring of a mechanical pencil gives the vital pressure to propel the lead.
  8. Chuck: The chuck is a small piece made of metal that expands and contracts in concert with the spring, advancing the lead in small increments.
  9. Lead Sleeve: The tip of a mechanical pencil, the lead sleeve, settles the lead stick during use to lessen cases of breakage. This is made of metal or plastic more often than not.
  10. Lead Refills: it is made of graphite and comes in a variety of sizes it can go from 0.2 mm to 1.4 mm. In this case, we need 0.5 mm for this mechanical pencil. It comes stored in little containers that can be used later to refill the mechanical pencil when the user needs to.   

These 10 pieces are what make this mechanical pencil works, and the way how do you use it is pretty simple. First, remove the cap and the eraser then introduce the leads into the lead reservoir tube then replace the eraser and cap back. Next, press on the cap or eraser this will move the lead one click. To start a new piece of lead continue clicking the cap until you can finally see the lead coming out of the lead sleeve. Then last, write with your mechanical pencil as you would with a normal pencil. But the positive of using a mechanical pencil instead of a normal pencil is that if the lead breaks you can just click on again to push the lead out. Or if you run out of the lead just refill by repeating the previous steps.

Mechanical pencils are a simple, helpful option in contrast to regular pencils. These sorts of pencils are particularly well known among understudies who need to take notes rapidly and don’t have the opportunity to hone their pencils every ten lines. Since you find out about how they look and work, have a go at utilizing one to finish your next schoolwork task. As Hayakawa said “Ever-Ready Sharp Pencil” the traditional way of sharping your pencil had come to an end. 

Reference and citations. 

“Gessner Pencil.” Better Living Through Design, 18 Nov. 2010, http://www.betterlivingthroughdesign.com/accessories/gessner-pencil/.

“History of the Mechanical Pencil – Inventor of Mechanism.” History of Mechanical Pencils – Invention and Inventor, http://www.historyofpencils.com/writing-instruments-history/history-of-mechanical-pencils/.

self reflection

Jun Yan Wei Wu

Engl 21007

Ms. Crystal Rodwell

November 4, 2019

Self-Reflection Technical description

This work, in particular, was hard to address because it was the first time for me doing one of these types. The process was, in fact, tedious and complicated mostly on the structure. I struggled a lot looking at how I could put my ideas in the paper. The first thing I did was to read the syllabus and followed each one of the steps written on there. But I got stuck by the body of my paper, this was when how of my peers told me how they did it and gave me some examples. This helped me a lot with the structure of the work, so the next problem was the audience. I was not sure how should I address it, so I opted for a more general group and with a formal tone. Once I set the audience and the tone I proceeded to start writing. One of the exigencies of this work for me was to try to do better than my last works, so this time I did try to follow more closely to the structure that is given on the syllabus and use a variety of vocabulary. 

A problem that I confronted while doing this assignment was the table of content, never done one before and it struggles on the process. Another problem was that I was not sure about how I had to write my conclusion since I just got a product then I just labeled and explained its functions. Now that I think about my work I think I did spend a lot of time on the abstract and introduction and didn’t pay attention to my body paragraph, which was the most important part of the work in my opinion. 

Conclusion my focus in this work was not what I wanted, I felt that I did not balance the amount of information and time spent on each portion of the work. I spent way too much on the introduction when I had to focus more on my technical description (description of my product). I feel like if I practice more this type of work I could improve more in my writings and it also will help me to explore new use of vocabularies