Lab report analysis

Jun Yan Wei Wu

Engl 21007

Ms. Crystal Rodwell 

October 22, 2019

Lab Report Analysis

I chose for my Lab Report Analysis three reports about the use of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine and business. Over the years, technology started to form part of our daily basis. Technology has made innovator tools and materials, leaving helpful information at the reach of our fingertips. Present-day innovation has made conceivable the disclosure of numerous multifunctional gadgets, for example, the smartwatch and the cell phone. Which, with the creations of apps with AI (Artifical Intelligence) in our smartphones and smartwatch has additionally made our lives simpler, quicker and better. 

Titles and Abstracts

In the lab report, “Overview of artificial intelligence in medicine,” the title gives a clear focus on the study. The report uses only words that are simple to comprehend for people that would be reading this report which could be from college students to researchers. The report title uses keywords like “artificial intelligence” and “medicine” to help readers that would most likely search for these words. The question being asked is whether artificial intelligence also known as AI is able to be used in the field of medicine, it is clearly written. Many search engines were put to the test by searching up certain keywords to see if it’s able to be used. This leads to many more people talking about AI being used in medicine. This shows the results of some of the approaches the report offered. This abstract is not hard to break down and understand even without reading the entire article. It briefly summarizes the entire idea into the abstract. 

In the article, “Consumer health applications, machine learning, and systems neuroscience: the use of artificial intelligence algorithms in clinical medicine and healthcare delivery” The title gives a concise focus of his study. It also uses some technical words such as “Systems neuroscience” or “Artificial intelligence algorithms”  but nothing that a general reader can’t understand. The author does not show the problem address by his study very clearly in the abstract. Also, he gives a summary of the methods used and a short conclusion. The abstract does not make much sense without reading the entire reading.

In the article, “An artificial intelligence and knowledge-based system to support the decision-making process in sales” The title goes straight to the point with the topic of his study. The use of words such as “Knowledge-based system” and “Decision-making process” can be hard to understand if you don’t have prior knowledge of what these terms refer to. The abstract shows the purpose of his study which describes the development of a knowledge-based system that can help the decision-making on sales of a company. Furthermore, the author gives a good summarize of the approach and the method used in his report. The abstract makes sense even if you haven’t read the entire report.

Introduction and materials/method

Next, the introduction gives us a brief overview of how AI was discovered and founded. It also gives us a little information before diving into the report. The report shows that AI is capable of being used in medicine. The introduction gave the purpose of the report and studies and also states a distinct method. In the methods and materials section, it tells us that the required material is basically just the AI’s intelligence. It summarizes it as stated earlier, by using search engines to search for certain words that could help. A problem that seems to be glossed over is that AI is not currently 100% reliable and people in that field would also need to learn to use AI as well which would take time. The materials and methods section is very short and presented in good order, however, there isn’t much of a description to the subjective measurements.

To continue, the article “Consumer health applications, machine learning, and systems neuroscience the use of artificial intelligence algorithms in clinical medicine and healthcare delivery” The introduction gives a concise review to his study because he starts the introduction by mentioning his focus which is the artificial intelligence in medicine. Also, gives a small summary of the method he used in the report. The material that the author used was data from CBS News by SSRS of Media, PA, OECD, StarLink, and STI Micro-data Lab.

Results and Conclusions

Furthermore, in the results section of the article, “Overview of artificial intelligence in medicine,” it elaborates on many of the ideas presented in the abstract and also gives more examples of how AI already currently being used in the medical field. The results include data from all types of medical professions that are relevant. It also provides a solution to many problems. The report includes charts to provide visuals that engage the audience to give a visual perspective. The discussion section repeats the hypothesis but worded differently. It addresses some of the pros and cons of this and states the benefits of AI again. It gives plenty of evidence that shows benefits. It also goes over some of the disadvantages of AI but also goes against it with the many benefits that it would provide. 

The conclusion is not labeled but there’s a small paragraph that reviews everything and summarizes what’s been said and promotes AI. There’s also no clear acknowledgment section. This report is meant for individual usage. The references are cited all at the end of the report. It is cited correctly and there are plenty of sources that were used for the report.

self reflection

Jun Yan Wei Wu

Engl 21007

Ms. Crystal Rodwell 

October 13, 2019

Self-reflection #2

This assignment lab report analysis was somehow complicated. First, the structure was unclear and I had to figure it out. Second, how am I going to divide the work do I analysis one by one or do I analyze all the lab reports then do a collab with all three. Third and most important, what tone and vocabulary did I want to use. These were some of the problems I encountered while doing my lab report analysis since structure comes while doing it the hardest part was to find a vocabulary that helps me achieve this work. So, expanding my vocabulary will help me to get over this problem.

Once I had an idea of how I would like to structure my Lab report analysis now comes how do I will split the information. One of my plans was to make an introduction and in my body, I could write my lab report analysis and later maybe write a conclusion enclosing it. But in the end, I just decided to just do a brief analysis of the 3 works. And structure it from the introduction, body that I split into 3 sections which cover all the information of the lab reports. I would say that some analysis were harder than others while doing it, like the abstract and introduction for me was a little harder because was the first time doing these type of analysis and I would say after doing these two the rest were easier.

The hard part of the work was just my lack of vocabulary, sometimes I feel like I’m repeating myself and need to go over and make some changes. An example would be when I need to write a lab report or any scientific essay. It is important for me to sound credible and without the right vocabulary, I could sound like a non-credible writer. Another example would be if I were to write a formal letter, I would not want to sound casual when I’m writing a letter to an important figure. If I were to casually call my boss “bro” it would be rude and make me look unprofessional. Since I lack proper vocabulary, it is difficult to compete with others when you try to stand out in a resume or even a simple letter. There are times where I feel like I am not able to express at the same level since my main language is Spanish.